Saturday, July 16, 2011

Middle East relations

I SAID farewell to the UK about 14 hours ago, and now I’m occupying a seat in the Qantas Club at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport waiting to reboard my British Airways 747 for the final eight-hour hop back to Australia.

We’re here for a couple of hours – just enough time to do a spot of duty-free shopping at King Power – and it’s nice to really stretch the legs after being snuggled up on a premium economy seat for the first part of my flight home.

During the walk from my plane to the Qantas Club I saw something that made me smile.

There’s a section of the airport where aircraft can rest during long stopovers, so they’re away from the terminals and not occupying precious – and expensive – space at one of the gates, and it was here that I saw an El Al plane parked right next to an IranAir Jumbo.

Something you don’t see every day, Iranians and Israelis sharing common ground – even if it is just a bit of concrete at an Asian airport.