Monday, December 26, 2011

Baghdad sunset

MY quick jaunt to France and Switzerland is done, and I have settled into my comfortable Etihad seat for the 24-hour journey home.

It was an early morning for me – I had to rise before the sun to be at the airport in time for my morning flight from Geneva to Abu Dhabi – so, after having breakfast on the plane, I rolled the seat back so I could stretch out in my business-class bed and sleep for a few hours.

Because we were flying east I woke up just as the sun was setting over Iraq, and pushed my window shade up to see the last of a fiery red sky above Baghdad.

It’s hard to photograph the last moments of a sunset, especially through the window of a plane cruising 12km up, but you get the idea of how beautiful this Middle East sky was from my position above the Iraqi desert.