Thursday, March 8, 2012

Peppers Parehua


I'M making what can only be described as a quick trip to New Zealand's North Island to see the brand new Peppers Parehua which sits on the edge of Martinborough between the velvet-green paddocks of a dairy farm and a pretty block of pinot grapes.

It's a quick hop because I'm only in the Land of the Long White Cloud for less than 48 hours, just enough time to have a quick look around the town and attend the gala opening dinner.

I am staying in one of the Winemaker Suites at the back of the peaceful property, and from my window this afternoon I could see a winemaker wandering the long lines of grapes sampling the fruit to see if it's time for vintage to start.

It is so quiet here, the only sounds I can hear from my private veranda is the soft whisper of the breeze drifting through the leaves of the old pines and the odd bird canon firing to scare thirsty critters away from the fat grapes.