Sunday, January 16, 2011

A first for me

BEFORE this last trip to Vietnam the only place I had ever seen one of my stories displayed was on my grandma’s fridge.

But walking down Mac Thi Buoi Street in Saigon I came across a shop that had a copy of a story I wrote stuck to the front window.

The store was Viet Thanh Silk – a tailor I visited in 2007 and then mentioned in a story about having clothes made in Vietnam that appeared in Escape last year – and a couple of visiting Australians had left their copy of the yarn after having some new threads whipped up during a recent visit.

The owner Viet Thank had highlighted the paragraphs about Saigon’s tailors, had the paper laminated, and then secured it to the window right beside the door.

Of course, I took a photo, it was a big moment for me.