Sunday, April 17, 2011

Captain Snooze


I THINK I might have found the world's most comfortable bed.

I'm spending three nights at the brand new Hansar Hotel in Bangkok and the few hours I get to spend snoozing are fast becoming the highlight of the trip.

The mattress is blissful, it's a king which means I can sleep across the bed without my tootsies ever finding an edge, and I seem to sink indulgently into the foam so it feels like I'm sleeping on a perfect pile of cotton wool.

The oversized pillows are mysteriously magical, they feel limp when I handle them to make the best sleeping arrangement but as soon as I rest my head them seem to be firm and supportive.

And the sheets, oh, the sheets.

The thread count is so high that the covers almost have that dense and furry feeling of sleeping in silk.

I had dinner with the hotel's owner tonight, an urbane 20-something by the name of Nithikorn Chayavichitsilp, and he told me he spent many hours getting the bedding combination just right.

He personally slept on 13 different mattresses to get the comfort level correct and then had the Hansar's beds custom made.

Nithikorn also wanted silk sheets, but the laundry bill to maintain that bedding would have been outrageous, so he had his manufacturer experiment with the thread count to get the extravagant texture.

The young entrepreneur studied business at the University of Technology in Sydney but wasn't planning to work in hotels until his uncle secured a patch of land in central Bangkok, just around the corner form the Four Seasons and a block from the main shopping district, and asked him to help out.

The result is a luxurious five-star hotel that does everything right.

I was lucky enough to have a suite at the front of the building and when I opened the door it found a vast foyer with slate floors and a glass wall that looked onto an outdoor light well with a beautiful flowering wall garden.

There was a big mirror on the opposite side of the foyer and, when I was reclining in my blissful bed, I could look through my suite and see a reflection of the flowers.

I'm always so impressed when I stay in a hotel like the Hansar, impressed there are architects and interior decorators out there pushing the boundaries of design and creating accommodations that provide surprises and discoveries from arrival until check out.


By the way, for anyone planning a holiday in the Thai sunshine, there's another Hansar in Koh Samui which also looks just divine.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad