Monday, November 21, 2011

Bliss by bamboo

IF you told me to go to a dark room in a basement, and be hit with a couple of bamboo sticks for 10 minutes, I would check the size of your pupils and assume you were smoking something on the un side of legal.

But that's just what I did tonight.

It wasn't a lesson on interrogation techniques, for the next time I have to get information from a stubborn Al-Qaeda operative, it was a unique spa treatment at my Singapore hotel.

The Bamboo Massage is one of the signature experiences in the day spa at Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort, a 90-minute treatment that leaves you feeling very relaxed, and I was using a bit of poetic licence when I said that I was hit by a couple of pieces of stick.

It is all very subtle and my therapist Sally started my treatment by shuffling around the table tapping the bamboo rhythmically on my legs, back, neck and arms with only the slightest amount of pressure.

She then used the rounded wood as a rolling pin, gently kneading my skin in the same direction as the muscles, before placing the bamboo on my joints and rocking it to apply the same sort of pressure she would have using her palms.

Then she put the sticks to one side, and I received a relaxation massage on muscles and joints that had been freed using the bamboo.

The spa manager Jenny told me the bamboo is used to relax the muscles, with the sticks doing that faster than the therapist could using only her hands, so when she starts doing the traditional massage it's more effective and the body gets more out of the time on the spa's treatment table.

- Posted from my iPad