Saturday, November 12, 2011

Take me out to the ball game


ANOTHER highlight tonight, in an itinerary just packed with highlights.

After our big day touring Boeing's Everett factory it was off the the baseball, to watch the Seattle Mariners take on the New York Yankees at Safeco Field.

The Yankees are in town for a three-game road trip against the local boys, and things are getting serious now it's nearing the pointy end of the season.

But it was no ordinary seat for me tonight, I was sitting in the Boeing super box right behind home plate with the other journalists and Qantas officials in my little VIP travelling group.

My belly was starting to rumble as game time approached but as soon as I opened the door to the Boeing box I saw there was a typical baseball feast waiting for me with pizza, nachos, popcorn and hotdogs so I loaded up my plate and took a spot in the exclusive seats just outside the window to watch the game.

Seattle is home to some big businesses - Microsoft, Starbucks and Amazon are just three of the mega organisations that call Washington State home - and Boeing has to be happy with the second-best box at Safeco Field.

Microsoft has the prime real estate, right behind home plate in the top corner of the stands, but Boeing is just next door.

I thought the spot was pretty good and from my perch I could see both dugouts, the players warming up on the sidelines and in the bullpen, as well as having a perfect view of what was happening on the field.

It was a great game, with four players breaking their bats slugging at the ball and a host of big hits, and I was lucky enough to see Yankees legend Derek Jeter do his thing in several innings.

And, just for the record, the Yankees won.


- Posted from my iPad