Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Little corner of France

I FOUND a little corner of France in Singapore's always-busy Chinatown today.

It was a cafe called Antoinette and I sat at a table in the window, the only person in the place, and had a sweet iced tea and three delightful macaroons for my afternoon snack.

My timing was perfect and I sat down just as the daily afternoon downpour drifted across Chinatown.

I discovered, while talking to the chef, that macaroons are hot in Singapore right now with a gaggle of chefs who spent time working in Europe making the colourful treats and selling them in out-of-the-way places around the Lion City.

There's Antoinette, another place in the basement of Raffles Plaza which is the big shopping centre opposite the famous hotel, and at a shop in the Fullerton Hotel by Marina Bay.

So, on my way back to the hotel, I went via Raffles and bought three macaroons for supper because there's no reason you can only have these colourful little cookies once a day.