Thursday, August 16, 2012

Safe in the sky


I DID  a bit of reading for my Qantas flight today.

It was more a matter of good timing than a tactical approach to informed travel, but not long before I stepped onto my Qantas A380 in Melbourne this morning I finished reading QF32 which is the book written by Richard De Crespigny.

He was the very clever pilot that landed the Flying Kangaroo's first double-decker aircraft when an engine exploded over Indonesia a few years back.

I heard lots of stories about the now-infamous incident from the Qantas folk I met doing the trip to Seattle last year so was interested and bought the captain's book when it hit the shelves earlier this month.

Not the best reading for someone about to fly an A380?

True.

But that incident, and reading the book, had the opposite effect upon me and I'm now a loyal Qantas customer hoping that if I'm every in a plane that has a faulty engine there's a team of QF pilots in the pointy end.

Captain De Crespigny and his crew did such a magnificent job that day landing the disabled aircraft when only one of the 21 flight systems was working normally and all four engines were "degraded'' with a complete failure of the fuel system.

I have no doubt, after hearing the inside information from the Qantas team, that if the same thing happened to any number of other airlines it would have ended with the loss of every life on board.

But the experienced Qantas crew kept the damaged aircraft in the air for a couple of hours, then wrestled it onto the ground at Changi Airport and safely evacuated every person on board.

Captain De Crespigny did say one thing in QF32 that I experienced first hand last night.

In one chapter about the revolutionary Airbus vessel he described the "dance of the ailerons'' which keep the plane steady in flight.

There's a collection of flaps on the wing that operate automatically when the aircraft hits a bit of turbulence, flapping and waving to adjust and stop the plane ducking and diving around the sky.

I couldn't see the wings from my seat on the second level, but I did take notice when the seat-belt sign came on somewhere near Hawaii.

The A380 hardly moved, you have to love those ailerons.

Qantas, it's always a pleasure.