Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My first ice


I'M having one of those special travel moments, experiencing something I have never seen before that is totally unfamiliar and foreign.

The Arctic is all about ice, and I am just seeing some of the ice for the very first time.

We are sailing towards Ilulisat, where there's an icefjord that produces around 90 per cent of the Atlantic Ocean's bergs, and I have just seen my first blocks of white floating in the still and very blue water of the Arctic Sea.

This photo was taken seconds after I walked on deck after breakfast, and I wanted to post it because it's one special snap.

The captain says the ice will start small, like you can see in this image, but it's only going to get bigger and more dense so stay tuned.

And, just because I'm so excited to see ice, here are the next three snaps as well.