Friday, August 17, 2012

Toronto tourist

I HAD a few hours in Toronto today, as I waited to join my fellow passengers and fly to Greenland to start a voyage on the Clipper Adventurer, so I wandered into town to throw a bit of money into the Canadian economy and see some of the sites.

There wasn't time for any great adventurers so I limited myself to the streets around the Eaton Centre and saw some of the city's magnificent buildings in the early-morning light.


Toronto has a good mix of old and new buildings - sometimes one building will have a collection of old and new features on one site - and when a new building is put up the developer must include a piece of public art on the site.

This can be anything from a sculpture in the lobby or a mural on a wall, but my favourite example was the glass ceiling that's been placed over a working lane not only protecting the thoroughfare from the elements but bringing a palatial belle-epoque attitude into the city.